Autumn

Autumn

Friday, June 7, 2013

Autumn in my garden

I love, simply love Autumn and Winter.

At no other time of the year do I feel more energised, more in tune with the natural world.

I listen to my work colleagues grumble about the rain or the cold, or the clouds and wind.  I listen and I pity them.

 I spend more time in my garden through the autumn and winter than I do in the summer.
 My magnolia doesn't seem to mind the winter.....
 The rain stays glistening on the plants all day....
My walnut tree plays games with me... I gather up the leaves and as I pass by it sneakily drops more behind me.  I know what is really going on.... it wants me to stay out there and keep it company - I love that tree.

The cyclamen start flowering...
 Rain wets everything and leaves adorn everything...better than any xmas decorations....
 My potted camellia blooms giant flowers that dwarf the plant.... how marvelous!

Naturally I love my garden all year round.  But at this time of year it seems to speak to me.  Its quiet grandeur, its complete disregard for my son's regular (albeit grudging) lawn-mowing, its timeless march through the decades; all make me feel like it has condescended to allow me to be its guardian.

And I am a willing disciple. I would pick those leaves up one by one and by hand if I could.  Sometimes I do then I place them underneath the balding canopy so as to preserve the cycle of life and let the leaves protect their mother with their mulch.

If you stand still long enough the protective cocoon of the life around you blocks out the traffic, the dogs and the sounds of civilisation itself.  The leaves crackle, the ground sighs as you step on its soggy dampness, the air whispers in your ear.

Love Love Love




10 comments:

  1. My favorite month, by far, is October. I love the crisp nights and the frost which starts to settle in. That being said, I'm kinda digging the hot weather now. Of course, by the time things start drying up and dying, I'll be ready for the Fall again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can safely say I hate summer. I hate it all year round. I hate it when I am in it and I hate it when it is imminent. The only good thing about summer is that it ends.

      Delete
  2. I loved this!
    Especially since the Heat Index today will be 100 or so.
    Stand by for me bitching in about six months...
    Bloody cold!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I should put a bitching rant on delayed post. Because it WILL get cold, you know.

      Delete
  3. Hey Marlia, just wondering how you liked that book that you won from deminishinglucy's blog... How was it? (I know it's been a long time since then but I was just wondering) :)

    It was something you won back in 2011!! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've given me a new appreciation for this time of year, Marlia. Your gratitude of your beautiful garden is beautiful. I look forward to crunchy leaves and the crisp scent of autumn in the air - in one month or so.
    Virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have saved this page because I found it distinctive. I might be quite interested to know more news on this. Thanks a lot!
    wiadomosci wiadomosci tresci zwrot podatku newsy wiadomosci informacje posty przeczytaj naklejki scienne dla ciebie aktualnosci nowosci informacje sprawdz to posty
    Daniel, yea I can see what you probably did there. I really appreciated that part, however hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I guess its time I move out of my dad and mom basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad think xD Anyway, in my language, there are usually not a lot good source like this.
    love-binding-spell-caster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its not often that I search for something and actually find useful information glad I found you keep writing!
    Hey cool blog, just wondering what anti-spam software program you utilize for feedback as a result of i get heaps on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there are not a Sarah Berger

    ReplyDelete
  7. This website is pretty cool. How was it made .
    Just to let you know your web page looks a little bit strange in Safari on my computer with Linux .
    sodium hypochlorite amazon
    china air purifier
    korean air purifier brands

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...